Westlake High School
SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL MINUTES
November 22, 2010
November 22, 2010 Thanks to Isla Steele for the refreshments!!
Attendees: Kari Ballard, Diane Blackburn, Nancy Bowman, Kelly Cambalik, Holly Cornelison, Greg Korshavn, Brandy LaRue, Jim Marshall, Celeste Corbin, Chris Nelson, Arnie Ross, William Barrett, James Freymuth, Nikki Ghazarian, Arantxa Cruz
- Additions/Changes to Agenda – none
- Approval of Minutes – Minutes for 10-26-10- approved
3.1ASG – Last Thurs we had reps from Herf Jones – a leadership presentation was made. It was very helpful. They are coming back after finals for a personality inventory presentation. Harry Potter dress up day was a great success. Tomorrow is a fundraiser for the Vice dance. Fundraiser CPK tomorrow.
- Senior Report – fundraiser at Menchie’s. The results will follow. Fundraiser at Fresh Bros. Senior class day at Yogurt Land. Seniors Sweatshirts are in.
- STAR cards – Doing front of the line pass for sophomores. Did a drawing for STAR. Free bag of candy with a STAR card.
- Junior Report – Fundraiser at Yogurtland.
- Sophomores – Class meeting at lunch. Reviewed people who were interested in doing a skit for our class. Crumbs cupcakes fundraiser.
- Freshmen – Will Barrett – last Wed class meeting to elect officers. Also thinking of doing a holiday grams fundraiser.
- Winter Showcase rally –attempting to get acts.
- Dec. 8 – 1-4 in the student cafeteria. Get AC turned on in the commons that day.
- ASB is looking for freshmen and others who wish to join ASG. They are also participating in secret pal gift exchange.
- Herf Jones – Character Education – video students on campus to ask what the quotes mean to them.
- ASG volunteered to be part of the WASC.
- Budget Report – Cathy Ewbank –SSC budget recommendations –
- Budget approval – passed
- SSP plan approval - passed
- Athletic Report – Jason Branham –
- Westlake vs. Palos Verdes Friday at WHS –day after Thanksgiving.
- 9th in CIF. – Boys Cross Country
- Lauren Diaz-Yi made it to state finals, 15th overall.
- Boys WP went to the first round of CIF playoffs.
- Girls VB made it to first round.
- Football defeated Knight HS 58-8
- Winter season sports are beginning.
- New Business – none
- Administrator Reports
7.1Principal’s Update- Ron Lipari
7.2 SSP Plan – sent to SSC members along with budget requests – approvals
7.3 Wellness Survey – this was taken and approved.
7.3 PI District – SSP Summary items - requirements
Each DAC rep is to rate those 4 items on the implementation status: Fully implemented, partially implemented, or minimal implementation. These were discussed with SSC and the results are listed after the items.
1. Parent involvement in programs and policies of the district school site (DAC, SSC) – fully implemented
2. Two way communication is in place. Help parents with information on state assessments, report cards, state standards,parents of EL learners are informed on their levels on CELDT and ELD instruction. Parents of students with disabilities are involved in decision making regarding their child's special ed program. Fully implemented
3.Solicitation of teachers, parents/families for input into the development of the Single School Plan goals and budget. Consultation for planning, implementation, and eval of school and district programs. Fully implemented.
4. District collaborates with site principals to offer parent activities and workshops, such as family literacy workshops, math/science events, and college info nights. Fully implemented
At secondary: Parent information to guide students through the many decisions they face in high school (UC requirements, CAHSEE, Career Tech).
- Photo lab – cabinets will be installed the week of Nov. 22
- The remaining Gym doors are being replaced
- WASC – October 2011. Parents are needed to participate in Focus Groups – Dec. 8 CPT through April CPT.
- Instruction – Nicole Judd
8.1Naviance – this is being implemented for all students – college apps and recommendations are all on this site.
8.2 Testing Calendar – this is on the website.
- Lunchtime Tutoring with Academic Mentors update. We have M- Th – 2 groups M-W, and T-Th
- Safety Committee Report – Jim Marshall
- Safety report – We have an upcoming CPT talk for students by Sargent Hatley. He will be discussing cyber bullying. Dec. 8 from 8 – 9 in the gym
- Student drivers and parking concerns were discussed. Celeste to check out issue in student parking lot.
- STOP program – 800 number for parents to make anonymous tips on unsafe student drivers. This is to help protect teens.
- Transportation survey for all staff is out, please complete.
- SRO – Celeste Corbin – a couple of fights on campus the past 3 weeks. Any change from last year? Not really.
10.0 Dean of Students – Brandy LaRue
- Taming of the Shrew was a great performance!!
- Kindness Bruncheon – this was a great event.
- Nov 2 – Keith Hawkins – Own it don’t rent it. He spoke to the EL students as well, and students could relate to him. We are going to hire him for WOW.
- Public Concerns – none
- ELAC report – Jim Marshall – first meeting at 6:30 tomorrow evening in the library. Goals of the EL program and CELDT testing scores and elect at new board. Want to make sure they know that they can get help from Moira Fagan Simpson.
- Media Center – Julie Speerstra – doing a variety of student projects. After the break there will be a math analysis project. The library is decorated with student art projects. Sally Adamski has obtained parent volunteers for the library.
- Department Reports:
World Language – Wanted to thank PTSA for turkey luncheon. We have 3 document cameras and printers for classrooms. NHHS going to CLU for a play. Ordered sweatshirts and going to Olivera street for an adventure. Julie Chung received a grant to buy materials for Chinese. Spanish 1 teacher from Colina is coming to visit WHS for her Span 1 classes at Colina. Dept is adopting textbooks in the spring.
Counseling – no report
English – Thanks to PTSA for the turkey luncheon. WW received the reader day. 3 teachers met at Colina to discuss expectations for entering freshmen. Lady bug cameras are a big help – thanks to WW.
Special Ed – Working on ways to improve test scores for our population. Lunchtime intervention with reading and reading comprehension is now ongoing. Working on reading program in sped classes. The state is using the modified assessment for Eng and Math.
Science - Physics students went to Teledyne on a field trip. Biology moving into cell reproduction and genetics. Jan and Feb the Amgen lab will be here – 650 students will work in the biotech program. All levels do the lab. Marine Science is in Marine ecology. Field trips to Aquarium of the Pacific – Marine and Environmental are going to the trip. Honors Physio – muscles and mink dissection – thanks to PTSA funded the minks. AA – busy fundraising at Sea Casa – earned over $400 for this. Dr. Dahms came to AA to see knee joint replacement surgery. Used real saws and bones. Art – December see the AA wall projects – theme is muscle. Group 1 is completed – massive photoshop display on bones. Actually did a decomposing corpse. We will be going to Loma Linda school of medicine for a tour. The person in charge of their lab will be visited. Going to visit Children’s hospital – raised $2000 and bought books/clothing/action heroes/etc for kids in the hospital.
Social Science – no report
Math –. All is good. Thanks for the luncheon, new calculator and printer.
PE – no report
Visual and Performing Arts – no report
15.0 DAC report – Kathleen Woodward – wellness survey completed.
16.0 PTSA – Roxanne Brown – Thanks to PTSA for the turkey luncheon.
14.0 GATE/DAC – Roxanne Brown – no report
15.0 Adjournment – The SSC meetings will be on Tuesdays in the Faculty Cafeteria at 3:00 (Dates: SSC date – Nov 22 (date change), Jan 25, Feb 22, March 22, April 26, May 24) – Refreshments- Roxanne Brown Thanks!!